Skip to main content

Pilates works I know from personal experience







Clinical Pilates - 

I was attached to Pilates in the 80’s/90’s not for any of its rehabilitation qualities but because I enjoyed the movements and how they made me feel and how they changed my shape. It was important then to me to learn all about this wonderful movement system so I could bring it to my clients and offer them the same feeling of being in control of how they felt and looked. Hence opening Ireland's first ever Pilates Studio in the 90’s

Like most people in my youth I considered myself invincible I had a sporting career that was very taxing on the body and at the time the desire to win always far out weighted any consequences of injury.

And like you I am only human and those hours and hours of tough training where bound to catch up with me.

I have always had what we commonly describe a ‘bad back’ in fact in 2010 on a visit to an Orthopaedic Surgeon here in Dublin for a neck injury – he commented not only on the condition of my cervical spine (neck) but the condition of my entire spine and hazard a guess that I would have needed surgery on my lumbar spine (lower back) approx 20 years ago had I not been in the profession I am – a Pilates Coach / Spatial Medicine Practitioner. In fact this surgeon was already referring some of his patients to me for Pilates because he believed in the validity of the system.



Pilates Core conditioning & Back Stabilization Developments in human movement science have evolved so much that we now know the important place the Pilates System holds in the roll of ‘Core Conditioning’ not only for ease and fluid movement but for the rehabilitation of both back pain and pelvic instability. Both the medical profession and movement profession consider it a great tool in the rehabilitation of spine and pelvic pain

It is approximated that 80% of people will have back pain, some will settle quite quickly, some will become chronic and others may suffer a recurrence from time to time
Science is showing us that an appropriate exercise / movement routine can become the best form of therapy and help prevent the incidence of recurrence

When there is pain the ‘core muscles’ may be or are not working properly and regardless of any sporting or physical activity , in the activities of daily living these muscles should be switching on to help protect and stabilize the spine.  The ‘core muscles’ help stabilize the spine and the pelvis.


If the ‘core’ is not working correctly or optimally other muscles will compensate - below are some things / conditions that can cause the ‘core’ to switch off
·         Poor Posture
·         Back pain
·         Breathing issues / conditions
·         Abdominal surgery / pregnancy




Now this is not all doom and gloom – these muscles can be retrained –

The Pilates Movement System in my opinion is without doubt the best movement technique to stabilize the spine and mobilize the body. Taking at little as 30 minutes per day could save your spine

I know for fact it works - I can help you

Joyce

So call BODYFIRM Studios at 01-8684600 or and let us help you regain the pain free life you deserve

Important - Pilates is a movement system that can help you restore function and ease of movement – Pilates is not a diagnostic tool and is not a substitute for sound medical advice or intervention. Always seek a diagnosis from a medical practitioner prior to taking on any physical or Pilates activity.


Always seek a suitably trained Pilates / Clinical Pilates professional

Popular posts from this blog

Add Essential Oils for your Heatlh

I hear it all the time ‘I want to be fitter’ when in fact what we really mean is we want to be slimmer/ look better.   Of course, we all want to look and feel better – but not at the expense of our ‘health’ -Health is so much more than a physical image or numbers on a scale. As Health Coach I believe ‘healthier’ is more than the sum of how slim we look or any number on a scale – being ‘healthier’ is three dimensional – 3D – it’s about eating nutritious foods, that allow your body and mind to thrive. It all starts with nutrition you just cannot train your body or ‘run’ out of bad or poor eating habits. From my personal perspective it’s about the nutrient quality of the foods – keeping our ‘guts’ healthy to keep our immune system healthy, that in turn provides us with the physical and psychological energy that motivates us to move, be more active, cope with stress, be social interactive and enjoy life’s little and big adventures   As well as eating nutritious

Your happiness is not dependent on your success

What have you done today to make yourself happy, yes yourself – not anyone else! As I write I am gazing at the most wonderful bunch of roses, they are sitting on the table resplendent in all their glory and I am smiling as I made this gesture to myself  I purchased them for myself ! In his Ted Talk Shawn Achor talks about Happiness ‘if I work harder I will be more successful and if I am more successful I will be Happier!’ Shawn goes on to say that this is scientifically broken and backwards – because we keep moving the goal posts for our brain, you have a achieved a good job now you want a better job, ‘if happiness is on the opposite side of success our brain never gets there’ because ultimately we think we have to successful in order to be happy Not the case we can be happy regardless of success Check out this short article about 34 ways you can make yourself happy – Come on step out of your comfort zone and do something for your self  34 ways to b

Health benefits of practicing Gratitude

Gratitude: How much do you want to change your life!  When it comes to positive physiology, visualizing your future, working with your vibrations to attract more of what it is you want Gratitude keeps coming up time and time again. Science is telling us that to rewire our brains, we need it to think, visualize, know and be grateful that the future has already happened! So your imagination is key in attracting a better future. But it’s not enough to imagine and affirm I want a better job, more money, better health, a better relationship, a relationship! You have got to visualize it, really see it and most importantly feel it – you got to put really emotion into it and attach emotion to it. And then the most important bit you have to do all this with Gratitude for having that wonderful job, great money, better health, fantastic loving relationship RIGHT NOW So you got to get Clear know what you want See it and really feel it Add tons o